Clinical application of net boot method
(The standard duration of maggot application is 48–72 hours)
|<Day 1> |
1. Wound bed preparation
Ensure that no ointment, cream or dressing material remains on the wound.
|2. Taking out the maggots|
(1) Take the maggots with gauze out of the tube.
(2) Maggots remaining in the tube can be flushed out with saline onto a piece of gauze.
|3. Setting the maggots on the wound
(1) Put the maggots with gauze on the wound.
(2) Cover the wound with several pieces of gauze and fix them lightly with tape.
|4. Preventing the maggots from escaping
(1) Cover the whole foot with a net boot and use adhesive tape to fix it tightly at a level above the wound.
(2) Put a bandage over the net boot and wrap the whole foot.
If there is a problem of exudation or odor, the outer bandage can be replaced.
1. Removal of the outer dressing
Remove the outer bandage, net boot, and gauze.
|2. Removal of the maggots
Remove the maggots using tweezers and water. They are supposed not to burrow into living tissue, but care should be taken not to leave them on the wound.